Tuesday 24 June 2008

Times Square, New York City (USA): McDonald's

With the first location of our blog, we thought we'd go for somewhere we all know and love: McDonald's. Not just any McDonald's though. The lights are on and the doors are open 24 hours a day. The location in Times Square is fantastic. Toys R Us just round the corner and a US Armed Forces recruitment base just across the road. You can't really ask for much more than that.

When I stepped inside, the queue looked a bit big, but it moved quickly. I was served by a young woman, mildly attractive, who commented on my "European" accent. After briefly forgetting that Americans generally don't use coins, I closed the coin pouch of my wallet and went into the note section for the bucks. My ingrained routine of ensuring I get rid of all my change at the fast food shop almost led to embarrassment on this occasion.

My order was an Angus Deluxe burger meal at $6.49. At the time that was worth £3.30ish when converted to good old Pound Sterling. Considering the cost of an "Extra Value Meal" in the UK and the larger size of the burger as well as the "quality" of it, it was definitely a steal and fantastic value for money. I think even now, with this global credit crunch and inflation malarkey you still get a good deal.

The interior décor was nice, and there were models of famous landmarks within NY. I'd visited most of them already but had I not, they would have given me plenty of ideas of places to go.

The burger itself was very good, very filling and the entire meal had enough calories to satisfy the daily requirements of a man, his wife and his 3 kids. All in all it was a great gastric experience. I think for the first time ever in my life I could actually taste beef in a McDonald's beefburger, I'm not sure if I was just imagining it though. Perhaps the décor was just a really clever ploy to get me to concentrate on what was around me, rather than think about, let alone notice the quality of the food.

Nonetheless I would definitely recommend to anyone out in those ends. Rating:
10/10

No comments: